DOM appendChild error in Gecko 2.0
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
let browser = document.getElementById('tabmail').getBrowserForSelectedTab(); let doc = browser.contentDocument; dump("\n\n\n\nXXXXXXXXXX\n"); dump("DOM Content loaded for " + doc.location + "\n"); var topBar = document.createElement("div"); topBar.innerHTML = "We got it!!!!!"; dump("iB = "+doc.body.insertBefore+"\n"); dump("fC = "+doc.body.firstChild+"\n"); doc.body.insertBefore(topBar, doc.body.firstChild);
I got the following error:
WARNING: NS_ENSURE_SUCCESS(rv, rv) failed with result 0x80530009: file /Volumes/Devel/thunderbird/src-central/mozilla/content/base/src/nsNodeUtils.h, line 304 WARNING: NS_ENSURE_SUCCESS(rv, rv) failed with result 0x80530009: file /Volumes/Devel/thunderbird/src-central/mozilla/content/base/src/nsGenericElement.cpp, line 4077 -- Exception object -- [snip…] + message (string) 'Operation is not supported' + result (number) 2152923145 + name (string) 'NS_ERROR_DOM_NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR'
Poking around a little, it seemed like I had reasonable things for the insertBefore method, the firstChild attribute, and the topBar variable, and so since it was late, and I couldn't see what I had done wrong, I went to bed.
That turned out to be a the best thing for me to do, because this morning Jonathan Protzenko came to the rescue, saying (in response to a similar problem with a Firefox 4.0 beta 7 extension):
If you're modifying some content DOM from chrome code, you need to make sure the child you're appending was created using the unprivileged document, not the global document.// This is chrome code, this is wrong because the span is now chrome // and you're trying to insert it into content myContentNode.appendChild(document.createElement("span")) // This is right, appending a content node to another content node myContentNode.appendChild(myContentNode.ownerDocument.createElement("span"))
I've hit this issue at least three times when upgrading stuff for Gecko 2.0. Might be what you're looking for .
And sure enough, when I changed var topBar = document.createElement("div"); to var topBar = doc.createElement("div"); , it all started working beautifully.
Thank you, Jonathan!