Using Persona in Angular apps.
In my previous blog post, I mentioned a tool I’m writing to make it easy for designers to link mockups to live bugs. But I didn’t mention that I had a reasonably-working version of the tool written in Backbone which I’ve decided to port to Angular. The reasons why are largely beside the point of this blog post, but I’ll try to sum them up by saying that I reached a point where Backbone seemed to be confusing me more than helping me, and Angular got a lot of good press at FluentConf this year.
So this morning’s task in the re-write was to
re-hook up the Persona integration. I had
read recently that when you had a lot of dom-manipulation functions, you should
probably put that code in a directive, and since I hadn’t written an Angular
directive yet, I figured this would be a great time to learn how. Writing the
was pretty easy, of course, and most of the code from the existing
implementation (which was largely based on the code from the express-persona
be ported over fairly quickly. The only tricky part I ran into was figuring
out that I needed to include
restrict: 'E' in the
Directive Definition Object. After I
was done, I noticed that there really wasn’t that much in the code that had
anything to do with the tool I’m writing, and thus I pulled it out into a
separate repo so that other people can use it.
And with that, I announce Angular-Tools, a repo containing one or more tools which you might find useful if you build Angular apps. As always, pull requests and bug reports welcome!