How to (not quite) fix a bug.

I’ve run into a bug. It’s a really annoying bug, because it prevents me from changing folders when I try to test any of my Thunderbird changes.

I tried putting dump statements everywhere, to see if I could figure out what was going on, but they were to no avail. Then, I thought about looking for the error code.

So the error lookup page says that the error that’s reported is:

Module          Severity        Number
CONTENT (25)    Failure (1)     6

And DXR says that Content Error 6 is: NS_ERROR_CONTENT_BLOCKED

Which occurs, among other places, here

But when I set a breakpoint there, it didn’t hit it. So instead of trusting mxr or dxr, I did a grep (well, an ack, but same thing), and started setting breakpoints on a few of the hits.

The one that hit my breakpoint ended up being this one which, weirdly enough, isn’t even listed in the mxr results of this search

Now that I’m at the breakpoint, we’re halfway there, I hope. ;)

How I got there was:

(gdb) bt
#0  nsDocShell::InternalLoad (…) at …/mozilla/docshell/base/nsDocShell.cpp:7643
#1  0x152d9daa in nsDocShell::LoadURI (…) at …/mozilla/docshell/base/nsDocShell.cpp:1369
#2  0x13dc7581 in nsLocation::SetURI (…) at …/mozilla/dom/base/nsLocation.cpp:316
#3  0x13dc8af3 in nsLocation::SetHrefWithBase (…) at …/mozilla/dom/base/nsLocation.cpp:595
#4  0x13dc8cf9 in nsLocation::SetHrefWithContext (…) at …/mozilla/dom/base/nsLocation.cpp:542
#5  0x13dc9120 in nsLocation::SetHref (…) at …/mozilla/dom/base/nsLocation.cpp:510
#6  0x003fa28e in NS_InvokeByIndex_P (…) at …/mozilla/xpcom/reflect/xptcall/src/md/unix/xptcinvoke_unixish_x86.cpp:179
#7  0x120f88bb in XPCWrappedNative::CallMethod (…) at …/mozilla/js/src/xpconnect/src/xpcwrappednative.cpp:2727
#8  0x1210c0c6 in XPCWrappedNative::SetAttribute (…) at xpcprivate.h:2550
#9  0x12105530 in XPC_WN_GetterSetter (…) at …/mozilla/js/src/xpconnect/src/xpcwrappednativejsops.cpp:1792
#10 0x001141a7 in js_Invoke (…) at jsinterp.cpp:1388
[…]

And it looks like we get there because the return value of NS_CheckContentLoadPolicy is 0x80004003, or NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER.

Then, after dinner, I tracked it down a little further, and if you place a breakpoint on the “\n\nAAAAAA\nrv5=%x\n” line in this patch, you can see that it’s the folder = do_QueryInterface(subFolder, &rv); line which is causing the failure, because the subFolder’s mRawPtr is null.

But I have no idea why that’s happening, so I posted what I had, and hoped that someone else could take it and run with it. And Bienvenu did, and now it’s much less of a problem for me, and I can go work on other things.

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus