One of the things I did over the holidays (so far) is upgrade the software that powers the blog. I was fairly disappointed with the number of packages I had to try before finding one that fulfilled all my requirements, and even then I ended up writing a bit of the functionality I needed. Anyways, the one I ended up with was Nikola, which generates a static site, handles posts with the same name in different sub-folders, and does incremental re-building so it doesn’t take an hour to update every time I add a new post.
I think I’ve correctly mapped the comments over from the old urls to the new urls, but the process is going to take 24 hours for Disqus to run, so I won’t really know until sometime tomorrow. (Comments on new posts should just work, if I understand it correctly) But in the meantime, I can totally write blog posts on my laptop, and have them sync over Dropbox and get automatically posted. :)
Perhaps in the coming days, I’ll write a little bit about the extra code I had to write to get it all working the way I wanted, but for now I think I’m going to close the computer and watch some TV with the kids.
Merry Christmas, all!